Adding gcode for filament change at specific layer

I read in the user manual about the "change filament" function which I tested and works great. It also states that code can be added to the gcode file to execute this function at a specific layer height. Can anyone explain that in more detail? Its not in the manual yet or at least I cant find it. I do a lot of large prints and want to avoid running out of filament mid print.

Roxy

What I do is feed my GCode file into: http://gcode.ws/# Use that to find the layer where you want to change colors.

Once you know the layer height (you need to turn on the layer info in the left hand column), go edit your GCode file.

Search for a line that will be like this: G1 Z3.45 (if the desired layer height was 3.45mm)

Insert into the file an M600 Z50 (Z50 will give you an additional 50mm to work, and purge filament).

Start the print and when you get to that layer, you should be able to change the filament to the new color.

(It is worth while to print a calibration cube and do this on the 3rd or 4th layer once or twice before you do it on a real, multi-hour print. It is unlikely your first attempt with no experience is going to work perfectly.)