gMax Filament Roller

Roxy

I really liked the gMax Filament Roller published on this site. (Filament Spool Bearing Bracket) But I had a couple of problems with it. A couple of the threads are fused together but that can be overcome with a Dremel tool and a little bit of 'Post Processing'. The other problem I had with it was getting the bearing perfectly centered so it would roll nicely. With only one bearing, it is difficult to get the roller perfectly aligned along the axis.

So... I re-invented the wheel. This gMax Filament Roller is not as artistic as the one that inspired it. But for me works very well and is stronger.

Parts List:
You will need:
(1) 5/16-18 x 6" cap screw
(1) 5/16-18 Nut
(2) 608 bearing
(2) 5/16 flat washers

The source file is included. If your 608 Bearings fit too tightly (or loosely) you can adjust the first line of code to change the value of the "bearing_fudge_factor = .10;"

If the roller rolls too easy for your filament, you can place the printed "Friction Washer" under the roller to take away some of the bearing's slipperiness.

Assembly should be obvious, but just in case, a 5/16" flat washer goes on the 5/16-18/6" cap screw before it is inserted into the gMax Mount piece. And the other 5/16" flat washer goes on the cap screw before the 5/16-18 nut is put on the cap screw. The two 608 bearings are gently pressed into each end of the roller. And you are done!

PS. I was going to put this in the Gallery, but I couldn't find a way to enter any text or files with the picture. So it ended up here.

Roxy

I tried to upload 3 pictures...

But the forum says:

The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 2 MiB.

:?

So... Instead I tried uploading a .ZIP file with the 3 pictures in it. Same problem.

Roxy

I emailed you the pictures... But the .ZIP file has both the source file (for OpenScad) and the .STL so you can just slice and print. You can pull the .STL file into NetFabb and look at everything.