Metal Hotend upgrade

Hello all,

I just recently got my Gmax 1.5 and have been trying with mixed results to get better quality prints on smaller things. I think the next step is to upgrade to an all metal hot end most notably with changeable nozzles. I have been looking at the E3d v6. My question for everyone is pretty simple. Is it as simple as buy the new hot end and bolt it on? or does this open the proverbial can of worms and requires redoing 3/4 of the machine to make operate properly. Any thoughts and help greatly appreciated.

John

requires a couple of new parts.
1. Fan shroud
2. BLtouch sensor holder.

that said i am STOKED i upgraded mine. quality went up measurably, and reliability too.
I love everything about it.

Are there files out there for the touch bracket, and the fan shroud? if not were did you find stuff to use, or did you just design it and print it? I see the quality of the printed parts on my printer and just can't duplicate the results... getting frustrating.

Truly, the hotend does make a difference, but 75% of it still probably lies within your settings in your slicer.

It is hard to hear sometimes and ive been there. I have owned 11 printers. It wasnt til the 5th where I actually got good results. Its hour after hour after hour making finite adjustments in your slicer until it works.

That said. the hotend did make a difference for me.
Im not sure if the files are out there publically, but kyle should be around on this post soon to post a link :)

bobr

I just upgraded to the E3D v6 All-Metal Hotend and this is what I found.
The prints are much better.!!! :D
When installing the E3D v6 I had some problems.
1) The BLTouch as to long and I had to remove the washes to be able to adjust the BLTouch to the right height.
2) The shroud was too long and I had to file it down.
I am very happy with purchasing from gcreate and their great support.
Now if I only knew how to change the firmware. :|
BR

Roxy

bobr said:
I just upgraded to the E3D v6 All-Metal Hotend and this is what I found.
The prints are much better.!!! :D
When installing the E3D v6 I had some problems.
1) The BLTouch as to long and I had to remove the washes to be able to adjust the BLTouch to the right height.
2) The shroud was too long and I had to file it down.
I am very happy with purchasing from gcreate and their great support.
Now if I only knew how to change the firmware. :|
In fact... if you knew how to rebuild and load the firmware, the BLTouch probably was not too long. Instead, you could have just edited the line #define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER in the Configuration.h file and set it to the 'right' number.

If you wish to change the firmware, the first step is to get Arudino v1.6.13 installed. You get it by going to arduino.cc and doing a download.

bobr

I am sure I was not clear …
The BLtouch sensor holder (bracket) was physically to long… and the BLtouch sensor, even with the pin fully retracted would hit the build surface.
I had to remove the washes that is on each end of the spring to be able to adjust the BLTouch to the right height.

Roxy

Oh! OK! I get it. But either way, if you mess with the length of the Z-Probe, you will need to adjust it. You can use M851 and then save the result to EEPROM (using M500). Or you can change the default value in the firmware, load the default settings using M502 and then save to EEPROM using M500.