Mesh Bed Leveling

Has anyone experimented with mesh bed leveling on their gMax?

I've noticed our glass heated bed is about 0.4mm lower in the middle than on the sides (crazy, I know...) and it makes it almost impossible to start a large print with any remotely small layer height. The last large print used 0.8mm layers (1.2mm nozzle) and it too became unstuck about an hour in. I could use a raft but that adds a few hours to the build and a lot of material usage.

There's a development branch of marlin that includes mesh bed leveling and I'm wondering if anyone's tried it. It seems like it'd be a real help with a large bed like this.

EDIT: I seem to be a bit out of date, looks like mesh leveling was adopted into Marlin Main as of 12 days ago (1.10 release).

gCreate_Joshua

Administrator
Staff member
We just added a custom version of the new marlin in our downloads section. It has the mesh bed leveling, and all I can say about that is AMAZING!!!

gCreate_Joshua said:
We just added a custom version of the new marlin in our downloads section. It has the mesh bed leveling, and all I can say about that is AMAZING!!!
FYI

On the download page you have:
You must use Marlin 1.8.2 to install...

Should be:
You must use Arduino 1.8.2 to install...

If you have an older 1.5+ with the BL Touch mounted on the left side of the hotend, you will need to move it to the current location with a new bracket or modify the offset in configuration.h.

Here is an example of what worked for me. The newer values are commented out below the values I brought in from the older firmware.

//gMax Single E3D Hotend
#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -16
#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -17
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -1.9

//#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 11 // X offset: -left +right [of the nozzle]
//#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -23 // Y offset: -front +behind [the nozzle]
//#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -1.9 // Z offset: -below +above [the nozzle]

gCreate

Administrator
Staff member
nopick said:
gCreate_Joshua said:
FYI

On the download page you have:
You must use Marlin 1.8.2 to install...

Should be:
You must use Arduino 1.8.2 to install...

Thank you. Fixed it.

gCreate

Administrator
Staff member
nopick said:
If you have an older 1.5+ with the BL Touch mounted on the left side of the hotend, you will need to move it to the current location with a new bracket or modify the offset in configuration.h.

Here is an example of what worked for me. The newer values are commented out below the values I brought in from the older firmware.

//gMax Single E3D Hotend
#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -16
#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -17
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -1.9

//#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER 11 // X offset: -left +right [of the nozzle]
//#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -23 // Y offset: -front +behind [the nozzle]
//#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -1.9 // Z offset: -below +above [the nozzle]
We have 3 configuration files in the zip file with different offsets. One for an E3D, J-Head and for Dual J-Heads. For the single J-head our values are close to yours. We only moved the bltouch to the right side when using an E3D because of the fan placement.

//gMax Single J-Head Hotend
#define X_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -16 // X offset: -left +right [of the nozzle]
#define Y_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -21 // Y offset: -front +behind [the nozzle]
#define Z_PROBE_OFFSET_FROM_EXTRUDER -1.9 // Z offset: -below +above [the nozzle]

Ok. I installed the E3D V6 before you had the option so, my fan is on the left side of the hotend with the BL Touch in the original j head location. So, my offset edit would work for anyone with the same set up I have. They can load the single E3D configuration.h and make the offset adjustment.

This firmware dramatically improves first layer consistency. Thanks for providing it.