HOW DO YOU USE THIS THING????

Check here for instructions and tips on how to operate your printer.

Re: HOW DO YOU USE THIS THING????

Postby justdon » Tue May 27, 2014 5:43 pm

the fan is on and I'm not sure if the squirtle is supposed to look that way. I assume your talking about the slight jittery look it has, i wondered about that too.

I began printing the t nut and the shifting is definitely back i went back to the gear that i had success with it too has began having shifting issues and i haven't made any changes to the pots since the last one i printed. I'm completely baffled by this thought i had the problem fixed but clearly its not. Not sure what else to do.

looks like its shifting to the rear of the y axis
Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 6.36.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 6.36.08 PM.png (219.36 KiB) Viewed 2891 times
These users thanked the author justdon for the post (total 0):
justdon

Postby raykholo » Tue May 27, 2014 5:52 pm

Yupp, that's the Y axis all right. I know which way the t-nut is oriented like the back of my hand...

Have you tried increasing that (Y) potentiometer or decreasing it?
These users thanked the author raykholo for the post (total 0):
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Postby justdon » Tue May 27, 2014 5:57 pm

I have tried both increasing and decreasing the potentiometer with no luck. Which do you suggest based on the picture?
justdon

Postby raykholo » Tue May 27, 2014 6:15 pm

Not sure what to do at this point in time... If you have a single extruder machine, replace the Y stepper driver board with that of E1. Not saying your Y driver is bad, but I'm out of ideas. Tell me if that changes anything...
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Postby uprightfan » Wed May 28, 2014 5:21 am

I had a the same misery up until about 30 minutes ago. I read on a RepRap forum that you need to really keep the Arduino Stepper drivers cool or you get print shifting (as the drivers screw up so much internal logic when they overheat!), and someone suggests a house fan pointing at the Arduiono directly. I did this right in the middle of one of my miserable "shifting" prints, and after I opened the Arduino box and pointed the fan at it for about 1 minute, the print started to print correctly. I jumped for joy and ran around the house.

My 5 year old came to take a look and kicked the cord on the fan, and the behavior of "shifting" cam back! I plugged the fan back in and it magically finished the print. See attached picture and you can see the change and also the moment the fan got kicked out. I could attach about a dozen failed prints, but now that I have this solved, my mood is elevated and I am going out for dinner.

Also, I have read and talked to many about how much power to put into the steppers via the little analog pot. You want to drive at the highest voltage you can get, but also back off before their make that clicking sound. They should just whine a bit, and then you have it at the sweet spot. With my steppers, this feels like about 75% of the total rotation of the pots for me to get max power, before going to far.

Gordon's printer uses a nice stepper actually. I looked into it. It has 0.45Nm of torque and uses 1 amp, and that is pretty good ratio. So it seems these Arduino drivers can only handle 1 amp, so if anyone is thinking of a new stepper for the Z-axis (if they make a heavier bed), you will most likely need a better driver for the Z-axis channel.
These users thanked the author uprightfan for the post (total 0):
Attachments
GmaxPrinterFixed.jpg
GmaxPrinterFixed.jpg (206.43 KiB) Viewed 2885 times
uprightfan

Postby raykholo » Wed May 28, 2014 9:09 am

That could very well be it! I haven't experienced the issue in the way you are describing but I do have an 80mm computer fan precariously perched horizontally on top of the electronics box (without the cover in place). If you want to do this immediately grab an 80mm Dynex fan at the local best buy, the reason for this is that it comes with an adapter that will allow you to tap the fan into a spare molex 4 pin connector on the printer's power supply.
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Postby justdon » Wed May 28, 2014 10:52 am

i actually have two fans in the same room as the printer facing towards it so I moved one right up to the Arduino and nothing changed. I also started turning the pot to increase the power and now its really out of wack so im working on getting it back. I dont know whats up with this printer at this point :|
justdon

Postby raykholo » Wed May 28, 2014 11:04 am

Ok then. Did you swap out the stepper drivers with E1 as a last resort to verify that the Y driver isn't bad?
Ray Kholodovsky
Owner | Cohesion3D
Cohesion3D.com
raykholo

Postby justdon » Wed May 28, 2014 11:53 am

I have the dual extruder printer and there's a lot going on around the motors so i don't want to mess with that. But i will try swapping it with on of the motors from the z axis.
Also want to add that Ive been trying to get my potentiometer turned up like you all say you have yours but some reason i can only turn it about a quarter to the left or right before it stops working altogether so i had to keep it somewhere in the middle around. But as of about 5 minutes ago its has stopped moving completely... im going to keep turning it to see where it has to be now so it can work if it hasn't just died on me.
justdon

Postby justdon » Wed May 28, 2014 3:25 pm

just swapped the motor and the problem is still there. This is getting to be very frustrating ,could someone maybe post a pic of there
potentiometer positions. Maybe mirroring your potentiometers will improve mine? Not sure what else to do.
justdon

PreviousNext

Return to gMax Operation Instructions