Slic3r dual extruder problems

Hello,

I'm trying to align the dual extruders of my GMax 1.5 so I can do PLA/PVA prints but I can't get slic3r to produce the correct shapes. When I try to do the "Combine multi-material STL files..." command per the slic3r manual, slic3r completely refuses to load my STL files, even though it takes them right in when I do an "Add..." command. (They look to be the binary form of STL and I can't find any way to generate ASCII versions.)

Regrettably I can't find a slic3r forum where this question really belongs, so I went to the AutoDesk Fusion 360 forum (my CAD program) and asked there. It was suggested that I add the first STL file and use "Settings" to associate extruder 1 as its default extruder and then add the second STL file to the first's object and associate extruder 2 with the second shape. The generated G-code did use both extruders, but it changed the shape of the objects.

They are supposed to look like this:

But what gets printed looks like this:

Of course they aren't quite aligned, but that seems to be what it is trying for.

I'm using slic3r 1.1.7 for Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. I downloaded slic3r 3 or 4 weeks ago. I'm using the GMax firmware from before the December update and downloaded the 1.1.7 config files for slic3r from GCreate.

Does anybody have any thoughts?

Regards,

Bill

Attachments

Kyle,

The "Upload Attachment" function isn't working for me. I browse for the file, add a comment, and click "Add the file". An upload progress window appears and then nothing. I don't get a new attached file block below the "Choose file" block. It just worked with a .jpg, but still won't attach an STL.

I'm currently using Internet Explorer 11, but I also tried it on Chrome and it didn't work there, either.

Oh, I see an error message at the top of the editing pane that says "The extension stl is not allowed".

What am I doing wrong this time or is this not possible?

Regards,

Bill

Attachments

You have to put them in a zip together. Here is one of my favorite models and g-code. If your using windows, (not sure how to on a mac) with both files selected right click and select 7-Zip> add to "YOURFILENAME.zip"

Attachments

Looking at your g-code on gcode.ws. It looks to me that you have one extruder set for infill, and horizontal shells. While the other extruder is doing the perimeters. I am not sure what g-code visualizer you are using but the model will come out looking how it is supposed to.

I attached g-code that has one extruder printing inside.stl and the other extruder printing outside.stl. I also attached the .amf file which has both of them combined.

1. Click “File > Combine multi-material STL files…”
2. Select the first .stl file
The window will pop right back up. You may get the impression that nothing happened
3. Select the second .stl file
Again it will pop up
4. Click “Cancel”
5. Type in the file name you wish to save the multi-material file as and click “Save”.

The file will then be saved as .amf file. Drag this back into slic3r and your ready to go.

Attachments

Kyle,

Thanks for the info. I tried it and it worked just as you said. I guess what threw me was that it kept asking for more files while not apparently doing anything -- I guess that was because of my dual extruder mindset.

I'll try the print this weekend when I have the time.

Regards,

Bill