Head Will Not Move After Level Bed & Crashes If Auto Homed

Hey all,

On our gMax v1.5 XT+, the print head will not move in the Z Axis after leveling the bed, and will crash into the bed it if auto homed.

After Auto Home (G28), and after Level Bed (G29) - we get garble, "- *.,(" to be exact, for the Z Axis position (see attached image).

Any ideas what causes this? If we power off and restart, we'll get a "Good" level 1 out of every 4 try's.

Thanks,
~J

Re: Head Will Not Move After Level Bed & Crashes If Auto Hom

I am having the same problem. The only difference for my printer is that it crashes every time after leveling then performing auto home. My printer also crashes if I try to print after leveling. I have tried to print an object of my own and object supplied with printer.

Just posted a new topic about the same after marlin firmware 1.1.1 my offset was 1.9 now its 13.9 and cant set it highertgen 10 eather. But same issue level bed with bltouch then same z issue. Then i auto home it ceashes also i start print its auto levels good then slams into bed when starting also getting Z= ,*.) Too

You need to contact support directly.
This board seems to be just for one users advertisements.

Wow, this has been going on since August??? I just got a brand new machine and had this happen, I posted about it in viewtopic.php?f=12&t=870 because I didn't find this in a search before. Same exact symptoms with the garbled display and crash. Put a hole in a brand new bed, I think gCreate owes me a replacement at the very least.

I have a full day of meetings and can't get down to the maker space to try another test, but I realized last night that this happens over USB but I was able to print the test file from the SD card when I first set up the machine, so it's possible the bug only manifests itself over the USB connection. If anyone else gets a chance to try that, it would be a useful clue. Unfortunately that won't work long term for us because we need to run the machine via OctoPrint.

My guess was right. I apologize for posting in three different threads, but I'll put the answer here because it's the oldest and longest. I copied the file that crashed the head onto an SD card and printed from there, and it worked. So there is definitely something wrong with the USB input. If you're having this problem, printing from the SD card may work around it.