MatterControl auto leveling

Check here for useful tips on how to get your printer to print at its best.

MatterControl auto leveling

Postby crussell » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:13 pm

Has anyone played with Matter Control (http://mattercontrol.matterhackers.com) and, specifically, it's auto-leveling features yet? I downloaded and may give it a try this weekend, but was curious what, if any, experience anyone might have with it.

Thanks,

-chris
These users thanked the author crussell for the post (total 0):
- chris
crussell

Re: MatterControl auto leveling

Postby GORDON.LAPLANTE » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:51 am

Autoleveling typically requires an additional probe or endstop which is mounted near the extruder. THis will lower the extruder until the switch hits the bed. Keep this in mind.
These users thanked the author GORDON.LAPLANTE for the post (total 0):
GORDON.LAPLANTE
Site Admin

Postby crussell » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:29 am

Gordon, have to gotten to play with it any further because it looks like I would need to move the z-axis end stop to the top (max travel) and reverse the homing in firmware. Best I can tell, the way there software works is that it has you park the noozle at the min position (paper height) a few places over the bed, then measures the travel to the upper stop to create a "soft" lower home positions to make its calculations.

That said, have you guys looked at designing a probe to use the feature built into Marlin?
These users thanked the author crussell for the post (total 0):
- chris
crussell

Postby GORDON.LAPLANTE » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Ah I see. That's an interesting way to solve it.

While we hope to implement autoleveling it's not something on our immediate plate. We actually looked into removing the endstop metal levers and moving to the endstop directly to the frame (instead of having it hang off the frame) to improve the zero point every time it levels and to eliminate any possible bending on the endstop bracket when it homes. This means once you level it one it should be set from that point on.
These users thanked the author GORDON.LAPLANTE for the post (total 0):
GORDON.LAPLANTE
Site Admin

Return to gMax Tips and Tricks