I had success today printing Ninja Flex with the gMax printer.
As Julia showed in her posts above, the space between the extruder's drive wheel and the filament support shaft is too large to effectively contain the Ninja Flex as it is being pushed into the Hot End.
I solved the issue using a Paper Mate Ballpoint pen, a 9/64" drill bt, a 3/32" drill bit and some acetone (to clean my fingers - that ball point pen ink is a mess)
In simple steps, the process was:
1. Remove the Extruder Lever (the part that has the bearing attached that presses against the filament)
2. Remove the Extruder Motor Bracket, which (as Gordon said) can be unbolted from the extruder motor and the extruder platform without taking anything else apart.
3. Find a Papermate ballpoint pen and remove the point and the ink tube from the outer shell.
4. Cut off about 1/2" of the ink tube off the end opposite the point to get rid of the plug in the end, then cut another piece about 2 inches long. Watch for the ink. Be careful. Don't wear white. You just want an empty tube nub without any ink trapped inside. Acetone works well to dissolve the ink, but it can still be a mess.
5. Check the outer diameter of pen tube nub - mine was 9/64". Then drill out the filament hole in the Motor Bracket using a 9/64" drill bit - I just turned the bit into the hole by hand, holding the drill bit with a pair of pliers. No need for a power drill.
6. Remount the motor bracket, tighten the screws that clamp the bracket to the hot end and the acrylic base plate and push the pen tube nub into the drilled out hole until it bottoms out on the top of the hot end.
7. Loosely mount the extruder motor with the drive wheel in position and touching the pen tube nub. Take a utility knife blade and partially cut through the tube right at the drive wheel, trying to maximize the length of tube that would extend past the wheel without impeding the motion of the wheel.
8. Remove the pen tube nub and finish the cut. Then reinsert the nub into the motor bracket.
To be continued ...
- These users thanked the author RPz376 for the post (total 0):