Printing killswitch when things go haywire

Hi everyone. My brother and I finally got our Gmax working great. I'll upload some pics when I get back to the house.

Every once in a while a print goes nuts and ends up screwing up. Hopefully I'm nearby and can notice and stop the print manually. The question I have is: What does one do when they print a large print before they go to sleep? If it goes nuts 30 minutes in you could have hours of filament wasted and a large mess on your hands.

Right now we are using repetier host with slicer (I love this program). It has the functionality to push notifications of start, stop, failures, etc to smartphones. Is there a way the printer can determine if bed distance is greater than the anticipated value, or something else that can trigger an alarm and emergency stop the print?

Thanks in advance. I'm addicted to 3d printing now :)

Travis

a webcam, arduino ethernet, and a relay to kill the power from your smart phone.

Although you could probably integrate this with the printer. Its very easy to set up a relay to control a circuit from the internet. Then you do not have to mess with anything on your printer.

crussell said:
Look into Octoprint. Have not tried it but it looks like a promising solution for what you need.

thanks Crussell. Octoprint looks promising! Although slightly uncharted territory for me since I haven't messed with a Raspberry Pi before.