Why not an all metal hotend?

Good morning.. So i just purchased a printer today, and im excited to get it. However i was curious about a couple of things.
Someone from gcreate can comment or others in the know, im not upset, or whatever just inquisitive.

Why no all metal hotend from the start? The industry has been moving that way for a long time now and there are tons on the market for a great price. They can withstand considerably higher temperatures etc.
So im just curious why the peek based hotends.

Also... Given today there is no heated bed, can one still reliably print PETG? or other filaments that may require hotter bed temps?
Personally i never print ABS anymore i think its garbage, but i do use 70c on my bed for PLA and PETG.

Thank you for your help.

Hi,
I cannot answer why Gordon and Anna made a choice to use the PEEK hot end. The only thing I can think of is that because it is newbie friendlier. It has a short transition zone, which means more detail, and you cannot mess with it as the transition zone is set. 3D printing has a steep learning curve, so less things to worry about. For printing PLA it can be a safe bet.

With that said, after printing for about a year and a half I am ready to move on to a metal head, and there are three now that I am considering as I am ramping up for a new 3D printer built.

As far as PETG, I have been printing successfully with the gMax 1.0 for about 8 months now. PETG has a PITA learning curve. Now I am extremely happy with it. I use the esun PETG and I am thrilled with it. I do not have a heat bed and so far I have replaced most parts on my gMax printer with the PETG parts.

I have also printed with PLA/PHA with great results. Recently I have been learning how to print with ABS. That has been an interesting experience. What I really do like about ABS is that I can dip the parts in acetone and get extremely smooth surfaces.

For me the key has been using CURA instead of Slicer with PETG. Slicer has an abyss of settings that can get you in trouble easily if you do not understand well what affects what. The truth is that I do not use the same slicer all the time, depending on the part and what I am trying to achieve. However, for some reason PETG likes CURA. Soon I will be getting the Simplify slicer, which I have read some wonderful things about.

You can see an example of some PETG parts that I printed last week using CURA at 0.14 layer height.

So i probably didnt share as much as I should have.

Ive owned a makerfarm prusa i3v, rostock max v2, flashforge creator pro, and currently own 2 SLA resin printers and a Taz 5. So i definitely know what is what.

So you are good printing petg without a heated bed? thats good to know. The thing i notice , while petg doesnt warp and thats great, PLA printed towards the edges of beds will usually warp. Are you guys that own this printer printing 16 inches out with no warping on pla with a non heated bed?

I honestly dont know if ill ever need a heated bed, because im likely NEVER going to print ABS again if i can help it. PETG is a TON better. It does take a while to dial it in, for sure but its well worth the trouble.

Is there any other filament that requires a heated bed? Copper/bronze, nylong, etc all can be done without one i think

Ok I see your point now. You having worked with all those printers in the past, it is I that I should be asking you how-to questions in then end...

But any way, I personally have printed up to 11 inches long PLA parts with no warping issues. As far as PETG the longest parts that I have printed so far is 7 inches, and that with no problems. Any PETG parts bigger than that I do not have a reference. Now, I should tell you that I did have tons of problems in the beginning when my printing bed was a disaster. Meaning, the print bed, had a mind of its own when it came down to getting it level, and actually remaining level. Once I upgraded my bed, leveled it, determined the average variance in height, and set the proper first layer height I stopped having warping issues. I'm sure replacing the Plexiglas print surface with a borosilicate glass made leveling the bed a more reliable process.

The same with ABS as well. Yes I have printed parts up to 6 inches long (successfully) without using a heated bed ( I do not have a heated bed). With ABS I use Rafts quite a bit, and with PETG I found that 3 Brim passes and a hot first layer ensures the print stays where it is supposed to. For me and the esun PETG I heat the first 2 layer to 230 C and print the rest at 226 C at slow speeds, and low accelerations. Also, I make sure that the room temperature not to be less than 74F when I print ABS or PETG.

With that said, I believe to have found a secret weapon when it comes down to a tackifier compound for the built plate. I swear by Elmer's CraftBond® Acid-Free acetone based spray adhesive.

http://elmers.com/product/detail/E421

I spray one very thin layer on the entire glass bed (this will not work on a Plexiglas bed- it will probably destroy it), and let it dry for at least 5 hours. Then I can print ABS, PLA, PETG, and PLA/PHA with no adhesion issues at all. In fact, I can print 2 to 3 times over the same spot with no adhesion issues. The only problem is cleaning and re-prepping it after it looses its sticking ability. For that I remove the glass surface from the x/y bed carrier and pour some acetone on it and use a razor blade to scrape it off. It comes off easily as the glue is acetone based, but it is messy. I then use fine steel wool dipped in acetone to completely clean the glass.

After the glass-bed dries, which is very quick, I re-spray a new coat with the Elmer's adhesive for my next prints. To be hones I print about every day something, but I typically clean and re-prep the print bed once every two weeks. I typically print smaller stuff. I just move the print spot around either using Cura, or if I use slic3r, I insert what I call a blob ( a 1 cm circle that is one layer high), which allows me to move things around with slic3r. As you know slic3r does not allow you to re-position a print unless you have more than one print item on the print bed.

For me, I have used glue sticks, hair spray. sugar water, ABS juice, and nothing comes close to the Elmer's spay adhesive, except I assume a heated bed which I do not have a reference on.

Any way I hope that I have not shared something that you already know...

Yes you sure did. I did not know that adhesive exists, so thats good.

However I fully intend to take the glass provided and adhere with 3m sheet a sheet of PEI. PEI is the best thing to ever happen to 3d prints :) its cheap, it works and you can always get it to stick better by light sanding it. its the best stuff going.

Glad to know petg and pla at least can handle no heated beds :)

Interesting.
I did not know about PEI. It looks like you can use it as a print bed or use in form of thin layers with adhesive back on your glass print surface. From what I briefly read you need to use heat in order to make parts stick. At this point I do not have a heated bed, so if I understand correctly It cannot quite benefit me at this point, until I upgrade to a heated bed. Until then I might want to stick to Elmer's adhesive.

So ive been using PEI for a year now and I can tell you it does not require heat to stick... However its nice to have.
For instance, the coolest thing is to just print and wait 15 minutes for the bed to cool and the part just pops off without even touching it.

BUt i will say you can print with PLA and PETG without the heated option. That said, the moment I have the option to upgrade my xt to a heated bed I will, SIMPLY because of pei, and its properties once heated. I will try to never print ABS again, unless a customer requires it